Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The State of Wisconsin vs Brett Favre

So on our last day in Minneapolis, the Vikings played their third game in the Metrodome since we'd been in town and, like their first 5 games of the season, they emerged victorious. It’s hard to believe that with all of his previous successes, this is the first time in Brett Favre's NFL career that his team has started 6-0. Looks like the Vikings are really for real, people… incase you were doubting :)  It's amazing how rejuvenated a QB can look with the best running back in the league behind him to keep the defense off balance. That's you, Adrian Peterson!

And speaking of Favre's "previous successes" yesterday the 101D company made our way east to Appleton Wisconsin, a slight jaunt from his old stomping ground of Green Bay. And I'm here to tell ya, we are DEEP in Packer territory here.  With really no other sports representation nearby (apologies to Milwaukee) you can just feel a heavy 

Packer presence in this town. I mean, if I had I bought a Favre Vikings jersey in Minneapolis (I didn't) and then wore it around this town once I got here (I wouldn't) to say the least I don't think it would be interpreted by the locals with any good humor.  Or to put it another way, I would expect to be calling my George, our company manager, from a local emergency room (And rightfully so, I would think.  It's hard to imagine that kind of blatant disrespect going unpunished... aaah, Aren't football rivalries graaand? :)

Obviously, there is Packer stuff everywhere in this town.  (In fact, there are surprisingly still some remaining pictures of Brett Favre, in Packer Green, scattered throughout the sports bars on the strip... I would ask some Wisconsin locals how they feel on the matter but... it's just feels like it's still too soon.) The First two things I saw walking into the hotel was a Packers Clubhouse store and Vince Lombardi's Steakhouse. Think they do good business? A few hours later when most of the cast was there sampling "Vince's" choice cuts, I was trying to explain who the guy was to Julie Foldesi but the only quote of his that I could think of was "winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." Not only had she never heard it, but she also thought it was pretty stupid. She's probably right. Football is a funny thing :)  

Speaking of football, the game that was playing on "Vince's" TVs was the Monday night game between the Denver Broncos and Joy and Brian's (my sis and brother-in-law's) hometown San Diego Chargers. Great game to watch (sorry Joy and Brian) with two punts returned for touchdowns AND a kickoff return for a touchdown! Wow, has that ever happened before?? I'm sure the answer to that is a short visit to espn.com away, but let's just say it's rare and leave it at that.  (Oh and congratulations Derek, on ya Denver Broncos!  They are for real for REAL now :)  

I guess that's all the time I have to talk about football for now... I know... it's soooo sad :)  Gotta hit up the theatre in a bit for soundcheck.  We are HERE Appleton!  

Hope all is well, and thanks for dropping by.

Best, Jeff

 

 

1 comment: